About Me

My photo
Charleston, South Carolina, United States
Computer Science undergraduate student (Senior) at the College of Charleston.

Labels

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

OpenMRS Bugs



As I have previously mentioned, OpenMRS uses JIRA for bug tracking.  I had never heard of it before using OpenMRS but I am really liking it.  Its easy to navigate and it has some really nice graphics for statistics such as number of bugs reported vs bugs resolved over time.  So, for the first part of my bug tracking exercise I have been tasked with finding the oldest bug in the issue tracker that has not been resolved.  Here it is (bug).  I have little to no idea of what the bug actually is.  The entire bug description is fifteen words.  The bug was reported by Ben Wolfe.  From what I can tell, he is a key contributor to OpenMRS.  He's always in the IRC, he is often responding on the dev mailing list and I see his signature on many different OpenMRS contributions.  I have a feeling that when core developers write bug reports they write enough so that the other core developers will get the drift of what the issue is and no more.

This bug was reported back in 2006 so why in the world hasn't there been any action on it?  The priority on it is even 'should'.  The bug report suggests that a research module be created (is this even a bug anyway?).  There are only two comments on it.  Here's an interesting one...

"PIH has created a number of modules for specific research projects, double entry reconciliation, etc. Would be nice to review each of these and see what could be incorporated into a more generic module to support common research project needs."

Upon some research, I found that PIH (Partners in Health) also creates electronic medical records systems.  So, the proposed solution is advising to reuse some already implemented code instead of making it from scratch.  Could be a good idea.  But there are no other comments below this one and the status is still marked 'ready for work'.  This bug seems doomed to linger indefinitely in JIRA limbo.

The next part of the assignment was to create a bug tracker account.  I have had one since the beginning of the project so I'll just say that the process was simple and quick.

Next up on my bug tracking adventure is to reproduce a bug in OpenMRS.  This one sounded easy enough(Chrome Problem).  The issue is that in chrome, an image which is supposed to be used as a link actually contains two links within the image.  If you click on the top portion of the image, then you will be taken to the correct link but if you click on the bottom portion of the image you will be taken to the link that is under the link that you intended to click on.  This was easy to recreate in chrome and it sounds like a fix is close at a hand.  The bug status is marked 'Code Review'.

The final task I have is to attempt to triage five bugs in OpenMRS.  This may prove difficult as even the newest bugs have already been prioritized, commented, given a status, given a priority and some even have already been assigned to a developer.  This project seems to have many prolific contributors who jump on bugs quickly.  I'm going to attempt to watch the bug tracker for a little bit (refreshing the page periodically) and if a new bug pops up I will attempt to beat the other developers to it.

DILIGENCE!

 

1 comment:

  1. That was fun reading through from a new dev's perspective! Your assumptions are correct, I am a core contributor to OpenMRS. That 'bug' really was a feature request (I just changed it to say so) from a user. I believe I created it while sitting next to him in a conference...just so we had a record of it! There has been some movement in that space, but nothing to fully fix the bug. I'll add a comment to that effect on the ticket.

    As far as triaging, I'll try and make your life easier. I have an rss feed on new bugs that get reported and can usually tell what is/isn't an issue. (mainly just because I wrote or have reviewed almost all of the code). Over the next few weeks I'll delay my triaging by a few days so you can hit your quota. :-) I would love to have people just triaging, but so far it seems that its left up to core devs. You can create an rss feed or an email alert for all 'Needs Assessment' tickets in jira. See the 'tools' menu item after you do a search.

    ReplyDelete